Figuring out where to start when building your website or getting started anywhere on the internet can be tricky. Below you will find resources that I use and recommend that you should too if you are to go down this path.
I have the resources linked to the websites. I have arranged them in the order that is easy to follow.
First step in getting a digital real estate is acquiring a domain name. This would be a name that you have decided to use for your business. For example, you sell printers; then your domain would be something like printerox.com.
A few things to do before buying a domain.
- Check for availability of social media page.
- Check if another business already uses the name.
- Keep it short if possible.
- Choose a name that’s easy to remember.
- Choose a name that can be branded.
Second step once you have acquired a domain name is getting hosting. That’s simply where your website files will be stored. There’s a few companies that offer this service. The one that’s highly recommended and one that I personally use is SiteGround.
When choosing a hosting company there are a few things to keep in mind.
- Cheap doesn’t always mean a good deal.
- How well will your website perform?
- How good is the customer support?
- How much storage do you get.
- As your business grows, how easy would it be to scale?
SiteGround removes all the guesswork on all everything I mentioned above.